Recovery for life begins upon entry into Aurora and continues infinitely. One of the important milestones in the journey of recovery is the completing Aurora programming with a Gratitude Ceremony. Treatment is challenging, but a lot of progress has been made in a short period of time as the entire focus of each member’s stay is recovery.
Our own experience and studies support the fact that more time in a treatment environment increases the likelihood of long-term recovery. Completion of programming at Aurora is not the end of the journey; it is an awesome beginning and is followed by the transition from treatment into regular life patterns, which is challenging. With the guidance of the comprehensive Recovery Plan, each member is being fully prepared for this transition. The Recovery Plan sets out a precise set of actions and goals members have committed to for the benefit of their recovery. Members must follow through on these commitments but know that Aurora and its staff remain connected to help every individual in this critical phase of recovery.
“Fit your life into recovery, rather than recovery into your life.”
The Recovery Plan is the roadmap for the member to transition from treatment to everyday life. Aurora supports and participates in the actions that each member outlines in their Recovery Plan. Our continuing commitment is to support the member’s recovery for life, reflecting our philosophy of care.
The key action categories of the Recovery Plan include, but are not limited to the following:
- Physical Health
- Emotional/Mental Health
- Spiritual Health
- Friends and Family
- Social life
Multiple specific actions are recommended for the member within each of these categories.
Aurora’s Continuing Care Support
- Weekly meeting for all alumni members to check in on their progress, triggers, challenges and successes.
- Aftercare group programming, either at ARC Counselling or one of our counselling partners in other cities across Canada. We provide four such group sessions in our treatment services and encourage members to commit to a minimum of 12 weeks.
- Minimum of four follow-up calls from counsellors for check-ins post-treatment.
- Continuation of therapy either with ARC Counselling or one of our counselling partners in other cities across Canada.
- ARC Squad is our community outreach program and alumni members are encouraged to participate in community service activities.
- ARC Buddies are alumni members who are connected with a departing member to support and mentor them as they transition out of treatment.
- Alumni members are encouraged to connect with Aurora staff, visit and occasionally stay if they are feeling unstable or in need of support. Our doors are always open to alumni members.
- Annual alumni dinner to celebrate the recovery of alumni members and strengthen the connection with Aurora.
Addiction and mental health disorders drive people to isolate themselves from their friends, family and community. Research has shown that those who connect with a recovery community of people healing from similar addiction and mental health have far better outcomes than those who do not. That is one of the significant benefits of 12-step programs, as there is an active recovery community in most cities, towns and villages wherever one might be around the world. 12-step programs facilitate a connection with people in recovery at any time of day or night. A critical component of continuing care is encouraging connection with like-minded people dealing with similar struggles. For those who reject the 12-step philosophy, Aurora helps the member find connections to people with similar beliefs.
We help members secure a safe home environment for their transition out of treatment. Often, it is best—and the evidence is clear—that members who begin their sober lives in a sober living home improve their likelihood of long-term recovery. Aurora has transitional housing available to members and has close relationships with other sober living organizations for a safe and supportive environment to begin their recovery for life journey away from Aurora. Learn more about Transitional Housing.
Aurora Recovery Centre’s philosophies are consistently reflected in the way we value our members and staff. Everything we do is in the interest of our members’ recovery for life.
Aurora’s treatment process is built upon a member-first culture and stands on three pillars that reflect our philosophy toward our members’ recovery: Heal, Connect and Recover.
From initial contact with Aurora, you begin to experience our Member-First Culture. Our highly experienced Addiction Specialists help you navigate the complex, emotional decision to admit to treatment.