Nobody’s perfect. We are all entitled to and should expect to have days, weeks, and even months of difficult times. How we handle difficult times all comes down to attitude. If you are having a hard time shifting your attitude back to a positive state, look to these suggestions below.
- Shut Down The Pity Party. When you’re feeling sorry for yourself and ruminating on negative thoughts, it’s going to be hard to maintain a happy attitude. The hard truth about self-pity is that it’s actually self-centeredness. In fact, it’s self-obsession. What we commonly call self-consciousness is just another way of spending our time and energy thinking about ourselves. Followers of recovery know first hand that getting in a self-centered cycle results in misery. Helping newcomers, friends, family members, and fellows in recovery lets the light shine back in.
- Turn Up The Happy Tunes. Being stuck in a negative attitude usually results in inaction. Feeling symptoms of anxiety and depression we often become lethargic, sedentary, and lazy. Our negative attitude causes us to be uninspired, unmotivated, and discouraged. We have to get into action on proactively take steps toward injecting some happiness back into our lives. You can’t get going until you get going.
- Set A Goal and Crush It. One of the best ways to get out of a crummy mood and into action is to set a goal and then crush it. From a small victory like getting out of bed, to a large victory like running a mile, whatever you set your mind to- do it! You’ll help your brain learn that feelings aren’t facts, your mood doesn’t dictate your reality, and that you are capable of much more than you know.
- Let Go Of What Holds You Back. Sometime we hold onto negative relationships and circumstances longer than we need to. Staying stuck in a situation we don’t need to be in can cause a negative attitude because we are working against our better judgment as well as our self-esteem.
- Excuses Or Results- choose one. The bottom line is this: we can either keep making excuses for our attitude or choose to get results by changing it. Recovery has given us a new way of life including a brand new set of tools for coping with our feelings.
Aurora Recovery Centre provides multi-phase treatment to men and women seeking lifelong recovery from addiction, alcoholism, as well as co-occurring disorders. Our program is integrative from detox to sober living, supporting each member at every stage in their recovery. For more information, call 844-515-STOP today.